The Ancaster Township Historical Society was chartered in 1950 and is dedicated to promoting an interest in the history of Ancaster, Ontario.
The Society meets October to May on the last Friday of each month. The meetings are held at 7.30pm in the Old Town Hall at 310 Wilson Street East. At these meetings we present a program of talks focusing on the history of Ancaster and Hamilton and the surrounding area.
Visitors are always welcome!
Our volunteers also are involved in supporting and assisting Fieldcote Memorial Park and Museum (64 Sulphur Springs Road, A ncaster; – www.hamilton.ca/museums/fieldcote), where the Society’s archives are currently located.
Facts about the Ancaster Township
- Chartered on November 17, 1950
- A registered charity
- Inaugural meeting was convened by Mr. William C. Whitfield in the Township Hall
- First public meeting was held on January 19, 1951
- Society has proudly written and sold three publications: Ancaster’s Heritage, Ancaster’s Heritage Vol. II and Ancaster- A Pictorial History
- Society has developed three leaflets:; Waterfalls of Ancaster; Historic Plaques in Ancaster; 45 Historic Sites of Ancaster
- Meetings are held at 7:30 pm on last Friday of each month October thru November and January thru April at Old Town Hall, 310 Wilson St. East. Corn Roast is held in September at the Shaver Homestead, 1166 Garner Rd. West
- The Fessenden Award is offered by the Society each year in Ancaster High School; Bishop Tonnos Secondary School and Hamilton District Christian Reform High School. The best local history student receives $150 and runner-up receives a copy of A Pictorial History of Ancaster book.
- Continual development of historical signage and plaquing for significant Ancaster locations.
- Yearly contest for residents of Ancaster to locate the biggest tree of specified species.
- Bicentennial of the War of 1812 is only 2 years away. Yearlong events to involve the whole community are in the works in conjunction with Fieldcote Memorial Park & Museum.
- Established the Archives at Fieldcote and continue to support both financially and with volunteers
| 2011 Executive
|Archivist/ Fieldcote representative
Download 2010 Financial Report
email@example.com or write to us at
Box 81123, Fiddlers Green P.O. Ancaster, ON L9G 4X1